NOTE: THIS WAS COPIED FROM PROFESSIONS
“It cannot be right to manufacture billions of objects that are used for a matter of minutes, and then are with us for centuries.” – Roz Savage, Environmental Advocate
There is no one way to fight for climate justice and no job requirement to be an activist. To tackle large issues like climate justice and climate change, we need everyone — and activism can be incorporated into every walk of life and profession. Many people hear the term ‘environmental activist’ and assume you have to be a scientist or public policy maker, but there are infinite options!
People across a variety of fields fight for climate justice every day and use their voice to impact bold change. Professions can include:
- Climate Scientist
- Documentary Filmmaker
- Environmental Lawyer
- Ethical Fashion designer
- Farm to Table Chef
- Integrative Doctor
- Organic Farmer
- Science Communicator
- Teacher/ Professor
Whether you want to be on the front lines of a climate protest, like to read and write, or spend your free time in the kitchen, you can be an advocate for the planet. In fact, we need you!
People use experience, interests and passions to contribute in unique ways. And tackling the climate movement, like achieving progress in any movement, depends upon a multitude of players, approaches and perspectives.
- Research a few people in any profession listed who have made their jobs green or actively take a stand for climate / social justice
- Design a graphic about one person and their job
- Share it with classmates, friends, family and on social media, tagging @TurningGreenOrg
Who inspires you? Who is already working in your dream job? Who or what do you want to learn more about?
- Research one person who works in a profession you are interested in and for whom you have questions
- Find an email address, social media handle or contact form to reach out
- Write a note introducing yourself, your interests and questions
- Send it — and if you get a response, please share!
Don’t forget to post about the challenge and your learnings/doings on social media and tag us on Facebook @TurningGreen, on Twitter @TurningGreenOrg, and on Instagram @TurningGreenOrg and use #TGClassroom.
What do you want to do when you grow up? There is no reason that you need to know exactly what job you want, but maybe there is a ‘cool’ line of work that interests you. Now let’s make it green! Brainstorm: how can this profession positively move the needle on environmental and social justice goals?
- Create a list, draw a diagram or write a paragraph on how you can be an environmental ______ (insert job here).
- Design a picture of yourself in this profession or create a visual encapsulating it.
- Share it on social media, tagging @TurningGreenOrg. Ask friends what jobs they are interested in and challenge them to make it green!